29 May Associate Attorney
Charleston Pro Bono Legal Services Inc., is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit located in Charleston, SC. Charleston Pro Bono is dedicated to providing civil legal aid to low-income clients. We are seeking an Associate Attorney to fulfill a critical role for a one-year public grant.
Major Job Duties:
- Work with Staff Attorneys to provide legal services to clients, including Advice and Counsel, Brief Services, and Limited Direct Representation;
- Conduct client intake and case determination;
- Monitor case progress;
- Enhance and develop systems for coordinating intake, outreach, appointment setting, case treatment, and referrals;
- Tracking cases and statistics to provide insight into trends, directions and opportunities;
- Preparing documents and pleadings as well as appropriate correspondence;
- Assist with scheduling and conducting pro se clinics;
- Maintain and manage contact with volunteer attorneys where appropriate;
- Participate in community outreach programs and community clinics;
- Provide support, training, and education of paralegals, volunteers, and interns; and
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills:
- D. from accredited law school;
- Member of the South Carolina Bar in good standing;
- Exposure and experience in the relevant areas of law, including but not limited to housing, landlord-tenant, family, estate planning, probate, employment, and benefits;
- Strong organizational, time management, analytical and problem solving, and oral and written communications skills with the ability to advocate persuasively for the Program’s mission;
- Demonstrated passion for seeking justice for low-income and vulnerable populations;
- Demonstrated empathy and understanding of the unique legal issues confronting our clientele; and
- Ability to work well under pressure, set and meet deadlines, manage several priorities in a day.
Salary Range: $45,000 – $50,000.
To apply, please include the following: (1) Cover Letter; (2) Resume; and (3) References
Accepting applications for an immediate start.
Alissa C. Lietzow, Esq.
Post Office Box 1116
Charleston, SC 29402